- Bachelors of Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, R. V. College of Engineering,Bangalore, India, June 2004
- Masters of Science (Engineering), Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, December 2006
- Doctor of Philosophy, Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, United States of America, April 2011
Other Professional Activities
- Co-Organizer: ASME Students Mechanism Design Contest, Graduate Division, Washington DC, 2011 and Chicago, 2012.
- Lead Organizer: ASME Students Mechanism and Robotics Design Contest, held in Portland, Oregon, 2013.
- Lead Organizer: ASME Students Mechanism and Robotics Design Contest, held in Buffalo, NY, 2014
- Lead Organizer: ASME Students Mechanism and Robotics Design Contest, held in Boston, MA, 2015
- 2016 Engineering Council Award for Excellence in Advising.
- List of Teachers ranked Excellent by their students in Fall 2015
- NSF CAREER Award 2015
- GE 411 Introduction to Reliability Engineering, Fall 2014, Spring '16, '17
- GE 310 General Engineering Design, Spring '14, '15
- GE 598 Compliant Mechanism Design, Fall '13, '15
- GE 100 Introduction of Industrial and Enterprise Systems Engineering, Fall '15, '16
- Faculty Advisor for Illinois Society of General Engineers
- Advised a senior design project team, Fall 2014, Spring 2016, Spring 2017
- MEMS Sensors
- Adaptive Structures
- Active Wearable Prosthetic and Orthotic Devices
- Flexible Pneumatic and Hydraulic Actuators
- Soft Robots
- Design of Compliant Systems
Chapters in Books
- C. Kim and G. Krishnin, "Synthesis Through use of Building Blocks", Handbook of Compliant Mechanisms, Wiley, March 2013.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Hopkins, J. B., Rivera, J., Kim, C., & Krishnan, G. (2015). Synthesis and Analysis of Soft Parallel Robots Comprised of Active Constraints. Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics, 7(1), 011002.
- Krishnan, G., Bishop-Moser, J., Kim, C., Kota, S., Kinematics of a Generalized Class of Pneumatic Artificial Muscles. ASME. J. Mechanisms Robotics. 2015;():. doi:10.1115/1.4029705.
- Xiao C, Oo YL, Farooq D, Singh G, Krishnan G, Hsiao-Wecksler ET. Pneumatic Sleeve Orthosis for Lofstrand Crutches: Application of Soft Pneumatic FREE Actuator1. ASME. J. Med. Devices. 2016;10(2):020959-020959-2. doi:10.1115/1.4033249.
- Satheeshbabu, S., and Krishnan G., " Qualitative Mobility Analysis of Wire Flexure Systems Using Load Flow Visualization", ASME journal of Mechanisms and Robotics, 8(6), 061012 (Sep 08, 2016)
- Patiballa, S.K. and Krishnan, G., 2017. Estimating Optimized Stress Bounds in Early Stage Design of Compliant Mechanisms. Journal of Mechanical Design, 139(6), p.062302.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Allison, J., Krishnan, G., & Thurston, D. Design of Engineering Systems in Industrial and Enterprise Systems Engineering Department at University of Illinois, inproceedings of the CESUN conference, Stevens Institute of Technology, NJ, June, 2014
- Herber, D. R., McDonald, J. W., Alvarez-Salazar, O. S., Krishnan, G., & Allison, J. T. (2014). Reducing Spacecraft Jitter During Satellite Reorientation Maneuvers via Solar Array Dynamics. In Proceedings of the AIAA/ISSMO 2014 Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, to appear, Altanta, GA, USA, June2014.
- Krishnan, G. (2014, September). Kinematics of a new class of smart actuators for soft robots based on generalized pneumatic artificial muscles. In Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2014), 2014 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on (pp. 587-592). IEEE.
- Singh, G., & Krishnan, G. (2015, September). An isoperimetric formulation to predict deformation behavior of pneumatic fiber reinforced elastomeric actuators. In Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2015 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on (pp. 1738-1743). IEEE.
- Singh, G., Farooq, D., Xiao, C., Oo, Y., Tawfick, S., Ferreira, P., Slavens, B., Krishnan, G., and Hsiao-Wecksler, E., T., "Project 2F.1: Soft Pneumatic Actuator for Arm Orthosis", proceedings of the 2015 Fluid Power Innovation and Research Conference, Chicago, IL, October 14-16, 2015
- X. Zhang, G. Singh and G. Krishnan, "A soft wearable sleeve for joint stiffness modulation," 2016 IEEE International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM), Banff, AB, 2016, pp. 264-269. doi: 10.1109/AIM.2016.7576777
- Satheeshbabu, S., & Krishnan, G. (2016, August). Automated Mobility Analysis of Wire Flexure Systems. In ASME 2016 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (pp. V05AT07A018-V05AT07A018). American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Satheeshbabu, S., & Krishnan, G. (2016, August). Towards a Constraint-Based Design of Soft Mechanisms. In ASME 2016 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (pp. V05AT07A019-V05AT07A019). American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Patiballa, S., Shanley, J. F., & Krishnan, G. (2016, August). Estimating Stress Bounds in Early-Stage Design of Distributed Compliant Mechanisms. In ASME 2016 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (pp. V05AT07A017-V05AT07A017). American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Singh, G., Xiao, C., Krishnan, G., & Hsiao-Wecksler, E. (2016, August). Design and Analysis of Soft Pneumatic Sleeve for Arm Orthosis. In ASME 2016 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (pp. V05AT07A034-V05AT07A034). American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Bishop-Moser, Joshua, Girish Krishnan, and Sridhar Kota. "Fiber-reinforced actuator." U.S. Patent Application 14/457,086.
- Research work mentioned in Scientific American Article (May 2014) titled "Shape Shifting Things to Come'
- 2016 Fluid Power Magazine titled "New Twist in Pneumatic Muscles" featuring collaborative work with Prof. Elizabeth Hsiao-Wecksler
- Ministry of Human Resource Development Scholarship (2004-2006)
- 99.72 percentile (ranked 55 throughout India) in the Graduate Aptitude Engineering Test (2004)
- 2nd Price, Student Mechanisms Design Contest. (2006)
- Best Technical (2008-2009)
- Best Paper Award in "Compliant Mechanisms Theory" (2010)
- Engineering Council Outstanding Advisor Award (2016)
- List of Teachers ranked Excellent by their students in Fall 2015 (2015)
- Senior Design team awarded Gold by the Lincoln Arc Welding Association (2015)
- NSF Early Career Development Program Award (CAREER) (2015)
- GE 100 - Introduction to ISE
- GE 310 - General Engineering Design
- GE 411 - Reliability Engineering
- GE 598 - Class:Lumped/Distributed Compl
- GE 598 - Special Topics
- SE 100 - Introduction to ISE
- SE 598 - Soft Robotics
ISE faculty, alumni, and students are advancing autonomous technology.
ISE Professor Girish Krishnan and PhD student Sreekalyan Patiballa earned the Freudenstein Young Investigator's Award for their paper on the design of auxetic metamaterials.