For more information
- Bachelors of Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, R. V. College of Engineering, Bangalore, India, June 2004
- Masters of Science (Engineering), Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, December 2006
- Doctor of Philosophy, Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, United States of America, April 2011
Other Professional Activities
- Lead Organizer: ASME Students Mechanism and Robotics Design Contest, held in Boston, MA, 2015
- Symposium Organizer of the Ashok Midha Symposium of Compliant Mechanisms and Micro-Nano systems in ASME IDETC, Charlotte, NC, 2016
- Symposium Organizer of the Ashok Midha Symposium of Compliant Mechanisms and Micro-Nano systems in ASME IDETC, Cleveland, OH, 2017
- Symposium Organizer of the Ashok Midha Symposium of Compliant Mechanisms and Micro-Nano systems in ASME IDETC, Anaheim, CA, 2019
- Associate editor for the 2019 IEEE Conference on Soft Robotics (RoboSoft 2019) held in Seoul, Korea, April 14-18, 2019
- 2016 Engineering Council Award for Excellence in Advising.
- List of Teachers ranked Excellent by their students in Fall 2015
- NSF CAREER Award 2015
- Freudenstein Young Investigator award from ASME in 2017
- GE/SE 411 Introduction to Reliability Engineering, Fall '14, Spring '16, '17, '19
- GE/SE 310 General Engineering Design/ Design of Structures and Mechanisms, Spring '14, '15, Fall '18
- GE/SE 598 Compliant Mechanism Design, Fall '13, '15, Spring 18
- GE/SE 100 Introduction of Industrial and Enterprise Systems Engineering, Fall '15, '16, '17, '18
- Faculty Advisor for Illinois Society of General Engineers
- Advised a senior design project team, Fall 2014, Spring 2016, Spring 2017, Spring 2018
- MEMS Sensors
- Adaptive Structures
- Active Wearable Prosthetic and Orthotic Devices
- Flexible Pneumatic and Hydraulic Actuators
- Soft Robots
- Design of Compliant Systems
- Decision and Control Systems
- Design and Manufacturing
Chapters in Books
- C. Kim and G. Krishnan, "Synthesis Through the use of Building Blocks," Handbook of Compliant Mechanisms, Wiley, March 2013.
Selected Articles in Journals
- S. Satheeshbabu and G. Krishnan, “Qualitative Mobility Analysis of Wire Flexure Systems Using Load Flow Visualization,” ASME Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics, vol. 8, no. 6, p. 061012, Sep. 2016.
- S. K. Patiballa and G. Krishnan, “Estimating Optimized Stress Bounds in Early Stage Design of Compliant Mechanisms,” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, vol. 139, no. 6, p. 62302, Apr. 2017.
- G. Singh and G. Krishnan, “A constrained maximization formulation to analyze deformation of fiber reinforced elastomeric actuators,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 26, no. 6, p. 065024, Jun. 2017.
- X. Zhang and G. Krishnan, “A nested pneumatic muscle arrangement for amplified stroke and force behavior,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 1139–1156, Apr. 2018.
- S. K. Patiballa and G. Krishnan, “Qualitative Analysis and Conceptual Design of Planar Metamaterials With Negative Poisson’s Ratio,” ASME Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics, vol. 10, no. 2, p. 021006, Feb. 2018.
- G. Singh, C. Xiao, E. T. Hsiao-Wecksler, and G. Krishnan, “Design and analysis of coiled fiber reinforced soft pneumatic actuator,” Bioinspiration and Biomimetics, vol. 13, no. 3, p. 036010, Apr. 2018.
- N. K. Uppalapati and G. Krishnan, “Towards Pneumatic Spiral Grippers: Modeling and Design Considerations,” Soft Robotics Journal, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 695–709, Dec. 2018.
- S. Satheeshbabu and G. Krishnan, “Modeling the Bending Behavior of Fiber Reinforced Pneumatic Actuators Using a Pseudo Rigid Body Model,” ASME Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics, p. 1, Feb. 2019.
- G. Singh and G. Krishnan, "Designing Fiber-Reinforced Soft Actuators for Planar Curvilinear Shape Matching," Soft Robotics Journal, p. soro.2018.0169, Sep. 2019.
- G. Chowdhary, M. Gazzola, G. Krishnan, C. Soman, and S. Lovell, “Soft Robotics as an Enabling Technology for Agroforestry Practice and Research,” Sustainability, vol. 11, no. 23, p. 6751, Nov. 2019.
- G. Krishnan and S. K. Patiballa, “Conceptual Insightful Synthesis of Spatial Compliant Mechanisms Using the Load Flow Formulation,” J. Mech. Des., vol. 142, no. 5, May 2020.
- N. K. Uppalapati and G. Krishnan, “VaLeNS: Design of a Novel Variable Length Nested Soft Arm,” IEEE Robot. Autom. Lett., vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 1135–1142, Apr. 2020.
- S. K. Patiballa and G. Krishnan, “On the design of three-dimensional mechanical metamaterials using load flow visualization,” Mech. Based Des. Struct. Mach., pp. 1–26, Feb. 2020.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- G. Singh, C. Xiao, G. Krishnan, and E. Hsiao-Wecksler, “Design and Analysis of Soft Pneumatic Sleeve for Arm Orthosis,” in Volume 5A: 40th Mechanisms and Robotics Conference, ASME-IDETC2016, p. V05AT07A034.
- R. M. Reck and G. Krishnan, “Combining projects and informational sessions to create a comprehensive introduction to the department,” in 2016 IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE), 2016, pp. 1–5.
- S. Patiballa and G. Krishnan, “Qualitative Analysis and Design of Mechanical Metamaterials,” in Volume 5A: 41st Mechanisms and Robotics Conference, ASME-IDETC 2017, p. V05AT08A002.
- S. Satheeshbabu and G. Krishnan, “Designing systems of fiber reinforced pneumatic actuators using a pseudo-rigid body model,” in 2017 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2017, pp. 1201–1206. Acceptance rate: 44%
- N. K. Uppalapati, G. Singh, and G. Krishnan, “Parameter estimation and modeling of a pneumatic continuum manipulator with asymmetric building blocks,” in 2018 IEEE International Conference on Soft Robotics (RoboSoft), 2018, pp. 528–533.
- N. Thompson, X. Zhang, F. Ayala, E. T. Hsiao-Wecksler, and G. Krishnan, “Augmented Joint Stiffness and Actuation Using Architectures of Soft Pneumatic Actuators,” in 2018 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2018, pp. 1533–1538. Acceptance rate: 40%
- S. Patiballa, K. Uchikata, R. K. Ranganath, and G. Krishnan, “A Conceptual Design Tool for Synthesis of Spatial Compliant and Shape Morphing Mechanisms,” in Volume 5B: 42nd Mechanisms and Robotics Conference, ASME-IDETC 2018, p. V05BT07A009.
- S. Satheeshbabu, N. Thompson, C. Xiao, and G. Krishnan, “Architectures of Soft Pneumatic Actuators Inspired by Muscle Fiber Arrangements,” in 2019 2nd IEEE International Conference on Soft Robotics (RoboSoft), 2019, pp. 271–276.
- N. Thompson, A. Sinha, G. Krishnan, "Characterizing Architectures of Soft Pneumatic Actuators for a Cable-Driven Shoulder Exoskeleton," in proceedings of 2019 IEEE Conference of Robotics and Automation (ICRA), Montreal, CA, May 20-24. Acceptance rate: 40%
- G. Singh, S. Patiballa, X. Zhang, G. Krishnan, "A Pipe-Climbing Soft Robot," in proceedings of 2019 IEEE Conference of Robotics and Automation (ICRA), Montreal, CA, May 20-24. Acceptance rate: 40%
- S. Satheeshbabu, N. Uppalapati, G. Chowdhary, and G. Krishnan, "Open Loop Position Control of Soft Continuum Arm Using Deep Reinforcement Learning," in proceedings of 2019 IEEE Conference of Robotics and Automation (ICRA), Montreal, CA, May 20-24. Acceptance rate: 40%
- S. K. Patiballa, S. Satheeshbabu, and G. Krishnan, “Load-Flow Based Design of Compliant Mechanisms With Embedded Soft Actuators,” in Volume 5A: 43rd Mechanisms and Robotics Conference, ASME IDETC 2019. pV05AT07A020
- S. Satheeshbabu, & G. Krishnan, "Analysis of Soft Mechanisms Using a Homogenized Strain Induced Model", in Proceedings of the 2020 USCToMM Symposium on Mechanical Systems and Robotics. USCToMM MSR 2020. Mechanisms and Machine Science, vol 83. Springer, Cham (pp. 179–195)
- Bishop-Moser, J., Krishnan, G., & Kota, S. (2017). U.S. Patent No. 9,835,184. Washington, DC: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Hsiao-Wecksler, E. T., Farooq, D., Xiao, C., Krishnan, G., Singh, G., & Oo, Y. L. (2017). U.S. Patent No. 9,662,263. Washington, DC: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Research work mentioned in Scientific American Article (May 2014) titled "Shape Shifting Things to Come'
- 2016 Fluid Power Magazine titled "New Twist in Pneumatic Muscles" featuring collaborative work with Prof. Elizabeth Hsiao-Wecksler
- Ministry of Human Resource Development Scholarship (2004-2006)
- 99.72 percentile (ranked 55 throughout India) in the Graduate Aptitude Engineering Test (2004)
- 2nd Price, Student Mechanisms Design Contest. (2006)
- Best Technical Contribution (2008-2009)
- Engineering Council Outstanding Advisor Award (2016)
- List of Teachers ranked Excellent by their students in Fall 2015 (2015)
- Senior Design team awarded Gold by the Lincoln Arc Welding Association (2015)
- Senior Design team awarded Bronze by the Lincoln Arc Welding Association (2018)
- NSF Early Career Development Program Award (CAREER) (2015)
- Freudenstien Young Investigator Award (2017)
- SE 100 - Introduction to ISE
- SE 310 - Dsgn of Structures & Mechanism
- SE 411 - Reliability Engineering
- SE 598 - Compliant Systems Design
- SE 598 - Soft Robotics