Douglas M King
For more information
- Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering, May 2012, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- M.S. in Systems and Entrepreneurial Engineering, May 2006, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- B.S. in General Engineering, May 2002, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Teaching Assistant Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Industrial and Enterprise Systems Engineering, August 2019 - Present
- Senior Lecturer, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Industrial and Enterprise Systems Engineering, August 2017 - August 2019
- Lecturer, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Industrial and Enterprise Systems Engineering, March 2014 - August 2017
- Visiting Lecturer, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Industrial and Enterprise Systems Engineering, August 2012 - March 2014
- Data Analytics
- Operations Research
Selected Articles in Journals
- “Models for Generating NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament Bracket Pools” (I.G. Ludden, A. Khatibi, D.M. King, S.H. Jacobson), Journal of Quantitative Analysis of Sports 16(1) 1-15; March 2020.
- "Is Promoting Public Transit an Effective Intervention for Obesity? A Longitudinal Study of the Relation between Public Transit Usage and Obesity" (Z. She, D.M. King, S.H. Jacobson), Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice 119 162-169; January 2019.
- "The Geo-Graph in Practice: Creating United States Congressional Districts from Census Blocks" (D.M. King, S.H. Jacobson, E.C. Sewell), Computational Optimization and Applications 69(1) 25-49; January 2018.
- “Random acts of violence? Examining probabilistic independence of the temporal distribution of mass killing events in the United States” (D.M. King, S.H. Jacobson), Violence and Victims 32(6) 1014-1023; December 2017.
- “Analyzing the Impact of Public Transit Usage on Obesity” (Z. She, D.M. King, S.H. Jacobson), Preventive Medicine 99 264-268; June, 2017.
- “What is driving obesity? A review on the connections between obesity and motorized transportation” (D.M. King, S.H. Jacobson), Current Obesity Reports 6(1) 3-9; March, 2017.
- "Efficient geo-graph contiguity and hole algorithms for geographic zoning and dynamic plane graph partitioning" (D.M. King, S.H. Jacobson, E.C. Sewell), Mathematical Programming Series A 149(1-2) 425-457; February, 2015.
- "Modeling the winning seed distribution of the NCAA Division I men׳s basketball tournament" (A. Khatibi, D.M. King, S.H. Jacobson), OMEGA 50 141-148; January, 2015.
- "Seatbelt usage: Is there an association with obesity?"(B. Behzad, D.M. King, S.H. Jacobson), Public Health 128(9) 799-803; September, 2014.
- “Quantifying the Association between Obesity, Automobile Travel, and Caloric Intake” (B. Behzad, D.M. King, S.H. Jacobson), Preventive Medicine; 56(2) 103-106; February, 2013.
- “Assessing the long term benefit of hand-held wireless device bans while driving” (S.H. Jacobson, D.M. King, K.C. Ryan, M.J. Robbins), Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice 46(10) 1586-1593; December, 2012.
- “Geo-Graphs: An efficient model for enforcing contiguity and hole constraints in planar graph partitioning” (D.M. King, S.H. Jacobson, E.C. Sewell, W.K.T. Cho), Operations Research 60(5) 1213-1228; September-October, 2012.
- “Seed distributions for the NCAA men’s basketball tournament” (S.H. Jacobson, A.G. Nikolaev, D.M. King, A.J. Lee), OMEGA 39(6) 719-724; December, 2011.
- “A note on the relationship between obesity and driving" (S.H. Jacobson, D.M. King, R. Yuan), Transport Policy 18(5) 772-776; September, 2011.
- “Seeding in the NCAA men’s basketball tournament: When is a higher seed better?” (S.H. Jacobson, D.M. King), Journal of Gambling Business and Economics 3(2) 63-87; September, 2009.
- “Fuel saving and ridesharing in the US: Motivations, limitations, and opportunities” (S.H. Jacobson, D.M. King), Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment 14(1) 14-21; January, 2009.
- “Measuring the potential for automobile fuel savings in the US: The impact of obesity” (S.H. Jacobson, D.M. King), Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment 14(1) 6-13; January, 2009.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- “Using Case Studies to Enhance the Critical Thinking Skills of IE Students” (A. Chronopoulou, K.J. Cross, D.M. King, E. Salimi), Proceedings of the 2016 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition; June, 2016
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers (IISE)
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Science (INFORMS)
- 2019 INFORMS Service Science Best Paper Award (First Place)
- 2018 INFORMS Public Sector Operations Research Best Paper Award (Finalist)
- 2013 IISE Pritsker Doctoral Dissertation Award (Second Place)
- 2012 INFORMS Innovation in Analytics Award (Semifinalist)
- 2012 INFORMS Section on Public Programs, Services and Needs (SPPSN) Best Paper Competition (Finalist)
- Engineering Council Outstanding Advising Award (2016, 2017)
- IISE Outstanding Faculty Advisor, North Central Region (2013, 2016)
- Mavis Future Faculty Fellowship recipient (Fall 2010 - Summer 2011)
- Mavis Memorial Fund Scholarship recipient (Fall 2009 - Summer 2010)
- Collins Scholar, University of Illinois, Grainger College of Engineering (Fall 2014 - Spring 2015)
Recent Courses Taught
- IE 300 BD1 (IE 300 BD2, IE 300 BD3, IE 300 BD4, IE 300 BL1, IE 300 AL1, IE 300 CL1, IE 300 CLO) - Analysis of Data
- IE 330 - Industrial Quality Control
- IE 400 - Design & Anlys of Experiments
- IE 412 - OR Models for Mfg Systems
- IE 413 (CS 482) - Simulation