Professor Qiong Wang, an Industrial Researcher Turned Faculty Member, Works on Problems with Managerial and Policy Implications
- PhD in Engineering and Public Policy, Carnegie-Mellon University
- Master of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Carnegie-Mellon University
- Master of Engineering in Management Information Systems, Tsinghua University
- Bachelor of Engineering in Management Information Systems, Tsinghua University
- Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics, Tsinghua University
- Member of Technical Staff, Industrial Mathematics and Operations Research, Bell Laboratories, 06/1997 - 10/2012
- Associate Professor, University of Illinois, Department of Industrial and Enterprise Systems Engineering, 10/2012-present.
Chapters in Books
- Qiong Wang, Marvin Sirbu, Jon M. Peha (1996), “Pricing of ATM Networks,” The Internet and Telecommunications Policy: Selected Papers From the 1995 Telecommunications Policy Research Conference, Gerald W. Brock and Gregory L. Rosston editors, Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc., pp. 65-78.
- Qiong Wang, Jon M. Peha, and Marvin Sirbu (1997), “Optimal Pricing for Integrated-Services Networks,” Internet Economics, Joseph Bailey and Lee McKnight editors, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, pp. 353-376.
- Qiong Wang (2006), “Pricing and Equilibrium in Communication Networks,” Handbook of Optimization in Telecommunications, Mauricio.G. C. Resende and Panos M. Pardalos editors, Springer, pp. 545-569.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Qiong Wang, Jon M. Peha, and Marvin A. Sirbu, "The Design of an Optimal Pricing Scheme for ATM Integrated-Services Networks," The Journal of Electronic Publishing, University of Michigan, Volume 2, No.1, May 1996
- Qiong Wang and Jon M. Peha, “Proactive Price Regulation for Upgrading Telecommunications Infrastructure,” Information Economics and Policy, Volume 9, Number 2, June 1997, pp. 161-176.
- Jinghong Xie, X. Michael Song, Marvin Sirbu, and Qiong Wang (1997), “Kalman Filter Estimation of New Product Diffusion Models,” Journal of Marketing Research, Volume XXXIV, August 1997, pp. 378-393.
- Steve G. Lanning, Debasis Mitra, Qiong Wang, and Margaret Wright, “Optimal Planning for Optical Transport Networks,” Phil. Transaction of Royal Society, London A., Volume 358, No.1773, August 2000, pp.2183-2196.
- Qiong Wang and Jon M. Peha, “State-Dependent Pricing and its Economic Implications,” Telecommunications Systems: Modeling, Analysis, Design, and Management, Volume 18, Number 4, December 2001 pp. 315-329.
- Debasis Mitra and Qiong Wang, “Stochastic Traffic Engineering for Demand Uncertainty and Risk-Aware Network Revenue Management,” IEEE Transaction on Networking, Volume 13, No. 2, April 2005, pp. 221-233.
- Daniel Bienstock, Olga Raskina, Iraj Saniee, and Qiong Wang, “Combined Network Design and Multi-Period Pricing: Modeling, Solution Techniques and Computation,” Operations Research, Volume 54, Number 2, March 2006, pp. 261-276.
- Anwar Elwalid, Debasis Mitra, and Qiong Wang, “Distributed Nonlinear Integer Optimization for Data-Optical Internetworking,” Journal of Selected Area of Communications (JSAC), Volume 24, Number 8, August 2006, pp. 1502-1513.
- Qing Cao and Qiong Wang, "Optimizing Vendor Selection in a Two-stage Outsourcing Process," Computers and Operations Research, Volume 34, issue 12, December 2007, pp. 3757-3768
- Martin I. Reiman and Qiong Wang, “An Asymptotically Optimal Policy for a Quantity-Based Network Revenue Management Problem,” Mathematics of Operations Research, Volume 33, Number 2, May 2008, pp. 257-282.
- Ming Xiong, Qiong Wang, and Krithi Ramamritham, “On Earliest Deadline First Scheduling for Temporal Consistency Maintenance,” Real-Time Systems, Volume 40, Number 2, November 2008, pp. 208-237.
- Robert Hampshire, William Massey, and Qiong Wang, “Dynamic Pricing to Control Loss Systems with Quality of Service Targets,” Probability in the Engineering and Informational Sciences, Volume 23, No. 2, April 2009, pp. 357-383.
- Erica Plambeck and Qiong Wang, “Effects of E-Waste Regulation on New Product Introduction,” Management Science, Volume 55, Number 3, March 2009, pp. 333-347.
- Mustafa K. Dogru, Martin I. Reiman, and Qiong Wang, “A Stochastic Programming Based Inventory Policy for Assemble-To-Order Systems with Applications to the W Model,” Operations Research, Volume 58, No. 4, July-August 2010, pp. 849-864.
- Ulas Ozen, Martin I. Reiman, and Qiong Wang, “On the Core of Cooperative Queueing Games,” Operations Research Letters, Volume 39, No. 5, September 2011, pp. 385-389.
- Martin I. Reiman and Qiong Wang, “A Stochastic-Program Based Lower Bound for Assemble-to-Order Inventory Systems,” Operation Research Letters, Volume 40, No. 2, March 2012, pp. 89-95.
- Erica Plambeck and Qiong Wang, “Implications of Hyperbolic Discounting for Optimal Pricing and Scheduling of Unpleasant Services that Generate Future Benefits,” Management Science, Volume 59, No. 8, August 2013, pp.1927-1946.
- Haohua Wan and Qiong Wang,"Asymptotically-Optimal Component Allocation for Assemble-to-Order Production-Inventory Systems,'' Operations Research Letters, Volume 43,No.3, May 2015, pp. 304–310.
- Martin I. Reiman and Qiong Wang, "Asymptotically Optimal Inventory Control for Assemble-to-Order Systems with Identical Lead Times," Operations Research, Volume 63, No. 3, May-June 2015, pp. 716-732
- Martin I. Reiman, Haohua Wan, and Qiong Wang, "On the Use of Independent Base-Stock Policies in Assemble-to-Order Inventory Systems with Nonidentical Lead Times," Operations Research Letters, Volume 44, No. 4, July 2016, pp. 436-442.
- Mustafa Dogru, Martin I. Reiman, and Qiong Wang, "Assemble-to-Order Inventory Management via Stochastic Programming: Chained BOMs and the M-System," Production and Operations Management, Volume 26, No. 3, March 2017, pp. 446-468.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Qiong Wang, Marvin A. Sirbu, and Jon M. Peha (1996), "Pricing of ATM Networks," The Internet and Telecommunications Policy: Selected Papers from the 1995 Telecommunications Policy Research Conferences, Gerald W. Brock and Gregory L. Rosston editors, Mahwah, NJ: Lawrance Erlbaum Associates Inc., pp. 65-78
- Steve G. Lanning, William A. Massey, Brian Rider, and Qiong Wang (1999), “Optimal Pricing in Queuing Systems with Quality of Service Constraints,” Proceedings of the 16th International Teletraffic Congress, Edinburgh, UK, pp. 747-756.
- Krishnan Kumaran, Steve G. Lanning, K. R. Ramakrishnan, Aravind Srinivasan, and Qiong Wang (2001), “Efficient Algorithms for Location and Sizing Problems in Network Design,” Proceedings of IEEE-GLOBECOM’01, San Antonio, TX, pp. 2586-2590.
- Debasis Mitra, K. G. Ramakrishnan, and Qiong Wang (2001), “Combined Economic Modeling and Traffic Engineering: Joint Optimization of Pricing and Routing in Multi-Service Networks,” Proceedings of 17th International Teletraffic Congress, Salvador, Brazil.
- Steve G. Lanning, William A. Massey, and Qiong Wang (2002), “Threshold Pricing for Selling Network Capacities through Forward Contract,” Selected Proceedings of the IMA Workshop - Mathematics of the Internet: E-Auction and Markets, Brenda Dietrich and Rakesh V. Vohra, Editors, Springers, New York City, NY, pp. 145-158.
- Debasis Mitra and Qiong Wang (2002), “Generalized Network Engineering: Optical Pricing and Routing for Multi-Service Networks,” Proceedings of SPIE: Scalable Service Provisioning and Traffic Control in IP Networks, Vol. #4868, Boston, MA.
- Robert Hampshire, William A. Massey, Debasis Mitra, and Qiong Wang (2002), “Provisioning of Bandwidth Sharing and Exchange,” Telecommunications Network Design and Economics and Management: Selected Proceedings of the 6th INFORMS Telecommunications Conferences, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston/Dordrecht/London, pp. 207-226.
- Debasis Mitra and Qiong Wang (2003), “Stochastic Traffic Engineering, with Applications to Network Revenue Management,” Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM’03, San Francisco, CA.
- Debasis Mitra and Qiong Wang (2003), “Risk-Aware Network Profit Management in a Two-Tier Market,” Proceedings of 18th International Teletraffic Congress - ITC18, Berlin.
- Anwar Elwalid, Debasis Mitra, and Qiong Wang (2006), “Cooperate Data-Optical Inter-Networking: Distributed Multi-Layer Optimization,” Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM’06, Barcelona, Spain.
- Debasis Mitra and Qiong Wang (2012), “A Model-based Study of the Impact of Managed Services and the Spawning of Applications in Broadband Networks,” Workshop on Telecom Economics, Engineering and Policy, 24th International Teletraffic Congress (ITC 2012), Krakaw, Poland.
- Matthew Andrews, Ulas Ozen, Martin I. Reiman, and Qiong Wang (2013). "Economic Models of Sponsored Content in Wireless Networks with Uncertain Demand." The 2nd IEEE INFOCOM Workshop on Smart Data Pricing (SDP2013), Turin, Italy.
- Debasis Mitra and Qiong Wang (2014). "The Stability of Best Effort and Managed Services in the Internet, and the Role of Application Creation." The 3rd IEEE INFOCOM Workshop on Smart Data Pricing (SDP2014), Toronto, Canada.
- Debasis Mitra and Qiong Wang (2015). "Modeling and Optimizing Intellectual Asset Production in Industrial Laboratories." IIE Annual Conference and Expo, Nashville, TN
- Debasis Mitra and Qiong Wang (2015). "Preservation of Best-Effort Service on the Internet in the Presence of Managed Services and Usage-Generated Applications." TPRC 43: The 43rd Research Conference on Communication, Information and Internet Policy (2015), Arlington, VA.
- Debasis Mitra, Qiong Wang, and Ao Hong (2016). "Impact of Regulatory Policy on Emerging ISP-Content Provider Relationships." TPRC 44: The 44th Research Conference on Communication, Information and Internet Policy (2016), Arlington, VA.
- Jialing Song and Qiong Wang (2016). "Analysis of Sponsored Data Programs from Commodity Bundling Perspective." TPRC 44: The 44th Research Conference on Communication, Information and Internet Policy (2016), Arlington, VA.
- Ao Hong, Debasis Mitra, and Qiong Wang (2017). "Emerging Internet Content and Service Providers' Relationships: Models and Analyses of Engineering, Business and Policy Impact." Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM'17, Atlanta, GA.
- US Patent 7466916: Hybrid Optical and Data Networks (Co-Inventor: A. Elwalid and D. Mitra.)
- US Patent 7123588: Decision Support Mechanisms for Bandwidth Commerce in Communication Networks (Co-Inventory: D. Mitra and K. G. Ramakrishnan.)
- GE 497 - Independent Study
- IE 310 - Operations Research
- IE 311 - Operations Research Lab
- IE 361 - Production Planning & Control
- IE 524 - Optimization in Finance
- IE 598 - Inventory and Production Syst