ISE PhD student Naveen Kumar Uppalapati and MechSE Master’s student Xiaotian Zhang recently won third place at the ASME Student Mechanism and Robot Design Competition.
- Bachelors of Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, R. V. College of Engineering,Bangalore, India, June 2004
- Masters of Science (Engineering), Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, December 2006
- Doctor of Philosophy, Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, United States of America, April 2011
Other Professional Activities
- Co-Organizer: ASME Students Mechanism Design Contest, Graduate Division, Washington DC, 2011 and Chicago, 2012.
- Lead Organizer: ASME Students Mechanism and Robotics Design Contest, held in Portland, Oregon, 2013.
- Lead Organizer: ASME Students Mechanism and Robotics Design Contest, held in Buffalo, NY, 2014
- Lead Organizer: ASME Students Mechanism and Robotics Design Contest, held in Boston, MA, 2015
- 2016 Engineering Council Award for Excellence in Advising.
- List of Teachers ranked Excellent by their students in Fall 2015
- NSF CAREER Award 2015
- GE 411 Introduction to Reliability Engineering, Fall 2014, Spring '16, '17
- GE 310 General Engineering Design, Spring '14, '15
- GE 598 Compliant Mechanism Design, Fall '13, '15
- GE 100 Introduction of Industrial and Enterprise Systems Engineering, Fall '15, '16
- Faculty Advisor for Illinois Society of General Engineers
- Advised a senior design project team, Fall 2014, Spring 2016, Spring 2017
- MEMS Sensors
- Adaptive Structures
- Active Wearable Prosthetic and Orthotic Devices
- Flexible Pneumatic and Hydraulic Actuators
- Soft Robots
- Design of Compliant Systems
Chapters in Books
- C. Kim and G. Krishnin, "Synthesis Through use of Building Blocks", Handbook of Compliant Mechanisms, Wiley, March 2013.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Hopkins, J. B., Rivera, J., Kim, C., & Krishnan, G. (2015). Synthesis and Analysis of Soft Parallel Robots Comprised of Active Constraints. Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics, 7(1), 011002.
- Krishnan, G., Bishop-Moser, J., Kim, C., Kota, S., Kinematics of a Generalized Class of Pneumatic Artificial Muscles. ASME. J. Mechanisms Robotics. 2015;():. doi:10.1115/1.4029705.
- Xiao C, Oo YL, Farooq D, Singh G, Krishnan G, Hsiao-Wecksler ET. Pneumatic Sleeve Orthosis for Lofstrand Crutches: Application of Soft Pneumatic FREE Actuator1. ASME. J. Med. Devices. 2016;10(2):020959-020959-2. doi:10.1115/1.4033249.
- Satheeshbabu, S., and Krishnan G., " Qualitative Mobility Analysis of Wire Flexure Systems Using Load Flow Visualization", ASME journal of Mechanisms and Robotics, 8(6), 061012 (Sep 08, 2016)
- Patiballa, S.K. and Krishnan, G., 2017. Estimating Optimized Stress Bounds in Early Stage Design of Compliant Mechanisms. Journal of Mechanical Design, 139(6), p.062302.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Allison, J., Krishnan, G., & Thurston, D. Design of Engineering Systems in Industrial and Enterprise Systems Engineering Department at University of Illinois, inproceedings of the CESUN conference, Stevens Institute of Technology, NJ, June, 2014
- Herber, D. R., McDonald, J. W., Alvarez-Salazar, O. S., Krishnan, G., & Allison, J. T. (2014). Reducing Spacecraft Jitter During Satellite Reorientation Maneuvers via Solar Array Dynamics. In Proceedings of the AIAA/ISSMO 2014 Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, to appear, Altanta, GA, USA, June2014.
- Krishnan, G. (2014, September). Kinematics of a new class of smart actuators for soft robots based on generalized pneumatic artificial muscles. In Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2014), 2014 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on (pp. 587-592). IEEE.
- Singh, G., & Krishnan, G. (2015, September). An isoperimetric formulation to predict deformation behavior of pneumatic fiber reinforced elastomeric actuators. In Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2015 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on (pp. 1738-1743). IEEE.
- Singh, G., Farooq, D., Xiao, C., Oo, Y., Tawfick, S., Ferreira, P., Slavens, B., Krishnan, G., and Hsiao-Wecksler, E., T., "Project 2F.1: Soft Pneumatic Actuator for Arm Orthosis", proceedings of the 2015 Fluid Power Innovation and Research Conference, Chicago, IL, October 14-16, 2015
- X. Zhang, G. Singh and G. Krishnan, "A soft wearable sleeve for joint stiffness modulation," 2016 IEEE International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM), Banff, AB, 2016, pp. 264-269. doi: 10.1109/AIM.2016.7576777
- Satheeshbabu, S., & Krishnan, G. (2016, August). Automated Mobility Analysis of Wire Flexure Systems. In ASME 2016 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (pp. V05AT07A018-V05AT07A018). American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Satheeshbabu, S., & Krishnan, G. (2016, August). Towards a Constraint-Based Design of Soft Mechanisms. In ASME 2016 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (pp. V05AT07A019-V05AT07A019). American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Patiballa, S., Shanley, J. F., & Krishnan, G. (2016, August). Estimating Stress Bounds in Early-Stage Design of Distributed Compliant Mechanisms. In ASME 2016 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (pp. V05AT07A017-V05AT07A017). American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Singh, G., Xiao, C., Krishnan, G., & Hsiao-Wecksler, E. (2016, August). Design and Analysis of Soft Pneumatic Sleeve for Arm Orthosis. In ASME 2016 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (pp. V05AT07A034-V05AT07A034). American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Bishop-Moser, Joshua, Girish Krishnan, and Sridhar Kota. "Fiber-reinforced actuator." U.S. Patent Application 14/457,086.
- Research work mentioned in Scientific American Article (May 2014) titled "Shape Shifting Things to Come'
- 2016 Fluid Power Magazine titled "New Twist in Pneumatic Muscles" featuring collaborative work with Prof. Elizabeth Hsiao-Wecksler
- Ministry of Human Resource Development Scholarship (2004-2006)
- 99.72 percentile (ranked 55 throughout India) in the Graduate Aptitude Engineering Test (2004)
- 2nd Price, Student Mechanisms Design Contest. (2006)
- Best Technical (2008-2009)
- Best Paper Award in "Compliant Mechanisms Theory" (2010)
- Engineering Council Outstanding Advisor Award (2016)
- List of Teachers ranked Excellent by their students in Fall 2015 (2015)
- Senior Design team awarded Gold by the Lincoln Arc Welding Association (2015)
- NSF Early Career Development Program Award (CAREER) (2015)
- GE 100 - Introduction to ISE
- GE 310 - General Engineering Design
- GE 411 - Reliability Engineering
- GE 598 - Class:Lumped/Distributed Compl
- GE 598 - Special Topics
- SE 100 - Introduction to ISE
Soft robotics is exactly like it sounds — instead of using hard, rigid materials such as metal, it uses skin-like, flexible, or even fluid components.